Search This Blog

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Daily Epiphany: August 1

Not really an epiphany, but talking with some friends who are also on blogger, I decided to re-decorate. Since I don't have the freedom of decorating my apartment with more than push-pinned posters and faux ivy, this will have to do.

I started working at the Loyola Bookstore this week. Getting this job was such an answer to prayer. I don't mean to question God's blessings (yet I often do, until He lightly taps me over the head with a 2x4), but sales is definitely an alternative universe. And, as much as I enjoy purchasing items at great discounts, I do not enjoy entering them into the cash register.

Two weeks until my birthday. It doesn't feel right not being at camp for my birthday. I don't know what I am going to do with myself. Nevertheless, it will involve ice cream.

I've been reading Joshua Harris' Boy Meets Girl, but not for the reasons you might think. Whether or not I agree with the idea of courtship, Harris has some great incites about God's role in our lives, relationships and dreams.

Taken from pp. 39-41:
You might be asking, "How am I supposed to obey God's commands and follow His principles when my circumstances are so different from those of other people?" Let me try to explain.
Imagine that you're a student in an art class. You and dozens of classmates are learning from a master painter. One day your teacher displays a painting of his own. It's an incredible work of art, and he wants each of you to copy it.
You're about to begin working when you turn to look at the person next to you. You're surprised to note that he has a larger brush than yours and a differently shaped canvas. You look around at the rest of the class. Some students have acrylic paint, others watercolor, still others oil--and everyone has different colors. Though you all have the same assignment, you each have completely different materials. . . "How do you expect me to duplicate your painting when the people around me have so many more colors to choose from?"
The teacher smiles. "Don't worry about the other students," he says. "I've carefully chosen the brushes and paints that each of you has. Trust me. You have what you need to complete the assignment. Remember, your goal is not to create a painting that mirrors the person next to you, but to do your best with the materials I've given you to create a picture faithful to my painting."
. . . We can each rest in the knowledge that God is sovereign over our life's situation. No matter where we are today or what mistakes we've made in the past, He has given us everything we need to glorify Him right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...