Search This Blog

Friday, August 8, 2008

Planetarium Fun

Now that I am working again, I have the joy of having scheduled days off. As opposed to being unemployed, days off make me feel like going on an adventure.

Therefore, on Tuesday, my friend Rachel and I went to the Adler Planetarium. Oddly enough, this was my first visit. It's a smaller museum so we were able to see pretty much everything in about 3 hours.

Looking at all the stars and planets, we couldn't help but marvel at our Creator's genius! Pretty amazing and awesome.

My favorite exhibit was the History of Astronomy.



Lots of great artifacts: compasses, navigation tools, sun dials, etc. ranging back to the 14th and 15th centuries.

There was also a re-creation of a medieval classroom. Pretty spiffy.




Being on a career path towards museums, it is interesting to think about the identity of certain institutions. The Adler Planetarium is a science museum, but obviously it needs history to tell the stories of its field's past. On the other hand, history museums rarely categorize their history into different fields (i.e. astronomy, oceanography, transportation, geography). Similarly, the Field Museum turns cultural history and anthropology into natural history--equating Native American dwellings with rock formations. Musings over.

Here's me getting ready to travel to the moon

Me and the city (in all it's hazy glory)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...