Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Daily Epiphany: November 19

My family has a great collection of Nativity scenes. My parents have been collecting them since before I was born. I love this tradition, but have realized that I need to create one of my own--or just copy theirs! So, today when I went to go buy some yarn at the fabric store, I brought my first Nativity scene. It's a simple carving of Mary, Joseph, Jesus and an angel. I am super excited to set it up, come November 30th.

Every year on the Sunday after Thanksgiving my familly (I used to join them before heading off to school) would head out to the Christmas Tree farm and chop down a lovely Charlie Brown tree (i.e. scraggly little pine, like in A Charlie Brown Christmas!). Then we'd go home, pull out all the Christmas things and start decorating. For me, this was the official start of a sacred tradition called Advent--the four weeks leading up to the celebration of Christ's birth.

Although we have a tree, my family does not buy presents to put under it, instead, the tree showcases ornaments from our various advent calendars. As the number of holiday advertisements increase, I am more and more saddened by our society's commercialization of Christmas.

It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but may we all look ahead and seek to put Christ back in Christmas. After all, it is His birthday we are celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...