Search This Blog

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Autumnal Baking

As most of you know, in addition to history, I have other talents and interests. One of these is baking. This fall has been a season of breads. Not normal bread, but yummy desserty and fruit filled breads.

This summer I began with Carrot Cake, but it wasn't fall yet, so it doesn't count.

In October, I helped break the fast on Yom Kippur with Betty Crocker's Harvest Pound Cake--an apple-based bread/cake that showcases a homemade caramel glaze.

Cake base: mix together . . .
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs

3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

3 medium apples, chopped
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Glaze: heat to boiling, boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp milk

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour

Towards the end of October I bought a little pie-pumpkin. Because I believe pumpkin pie should not be eaten before Thanksgiving, I decided to make Pumpkin Bread--my mom's famous recipe. I cooked up the pumpkin (and roasted the seeds!); it made two loaves. One for a church potluck, and one for me. :-)

2 2/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. oil
4 eggs
16 oz pumpkin (can or real pumpkin cooked)
2/3 c. water
3 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 c. pecans (optional)

Bake 325 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes


Also in October, I had the opportunity to bake Challah with my friend Leah. I had grown up baking Challah with my mom, but since leaving home, I have not been able to get it right (yeast can be tricky). Leah provided a recipe different from what I was used to, but the bread turned out marvelous, and quite delicious! In addition to eating Challah on Friday night for Shabbat, I also love making it into french toast on Saturday morning. Super good.

[Let me know if you want this recipe, the instructions are fairly lengthy.]

That same night, Leah gave me her Banana Bread recipe. Tonight I tried the recipe, making Banana Bread November's bread. Three bananas made two loaves--one for my church small group, and the other I'm going to put in the freezer for later.

3 bananas
1 c. oil
2 eggs
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sugar (this can be half white and half brown, or all of one)
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
8 oz. chocolate chips (optional)

Bake at 350 degrees. For bread: 45 minutes-1 hour. Muffins: 20 minutes.

*Note: In all these recipes I used King Arthur white berry whole wheat flour. This light whole wheat flour can be found at Trader Joes.

Next, I'll have to try Chocolate Zucchini Cake, and maybe my cousin's Strawberry Rhubard Coffee Cake, or Blueberry muffins . . . or maybe I'll just move on to pies. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...