Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Summer Update: Getting ready

In a few days I will be heading downtown to Moody Bible Institute to begin training for Jews for Jesus' Summer Witnessing Campaign. After two weeks of intensive learning, we will gather in NYC for a month of street evangelism, discipleship and worship.

On Friday, I officially moved into my new apartment. I have lots of unpacking to do . . . all so that I can repack for my adventure. People keep asking me if I am excited, and honestly, I stand awkwardly between worry, anticipation and excitement. I keep telling myself that I'll feel ready once I am packed. But thinking back, I am usually not ready (emotionally) for the unknown until I am thrust into the new and sometimes-frightening situations.

One of the things I was not looking forward to about training are the assignments I have to be working on for next week. Only one month removed from finishing my Masters, I was wary of doing more homework. So even though I've had the books for a long time, I'd been putting it off. There is no more pushing. This is crunch time. And amazingly, the books are rather interesting.

To witness to NYC's Jewish population, it is imperative that we know the Jewish mind and identity. Herman Wouk's This is My God does just that. It is a unique blend of Jewish musings, history lessons and cultural understanding. Wouk wrote the book in 1959, smack dab in the post-war era of Jewish identity shifting towards a White American identity. It is facinating to read a Jew's decription of the state of Judaism in the 1950s, knowing fully what was going on at the same time, historically.

Thinking back, I know that God has prepared me intellectually for this trip. I am fairly well grounded in Jewish history and have a desire to learn as much as I can. I am so grateful for ways that God is working in my life. But I still have uncertainty about how God will use me this summer, spiritually and emotionally. So. this is where you can pray for me. Pray that God pushes me smoothly and forcefully out of my comfort zone, and into a great community of fellow servants. Pray that I have boldness, health, and an openness to receive what God is doing in my life and those around me.

Through this blog, I will be posting updates and new prayer requests. Feel free to send me an encouraging note via facebook or my email at rcredinger@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...