Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer update: one week of training complete

People who have gone on Summer Witnessing Campaign before kept telling me how difficult training was going to be. Not that I didn't believe them, but I thought, "I'm tough, I can handle it." Well I've discovered that I can handle it. Not by my own might, however, but by God's goodness and mercy.

Waking up at 5:45 each morning was a total shock. The first couple days my body rebelled and I was nauseous for almost the rest of the day. After a bus day of classes and sorties, I am exhausted. But then comes the fun part: studying. Each morning we are quizzed on what we learned the day before. For the most part we study as a group. These sessions, while profitable, means we don't get to bed until at least 11pm.

I haven't quite gotten used to it, but I have realized one thing central to our survival as a team and effectiveness as witnesses: I would not be able to keep up the rigors of this schedule without ten or so other people keeping me accountable and and encouraged. We are a machine!

I am getting better at handing out broadsides and sorties, but there are still days when I am discouraged at the effectiveness of my work on the streets. But God is good. Yesterday I was stationed in front of the Art Institute, catching people as they walked to Millennium Park. I more invigorated by my love for that area of the loop, but also, I got to speak to lots of people about Jesus! I met one group of students from New Zealand. A couple of them were Jewish, and curious about Jesus. Please pray that God's message penetrates their hearts.

This year we are incorporating street theatre into our campaign. We've been rehersing the last couple days and hope to present the skit at least once in Chicago before we take it to NYC. Please pray for stamina as we have to memorize lines on top of all the other scripture verses and class work we have to memorize throughout the week.













Blessings,

Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...