Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Glimpses of God's Glory


Yesterday I decided to visit the Art Institute of Chicago. I love that place, but I haven’t been there since last spring when I graduated. I had high hopes that by this time I would be employed at a place like the Art Institute, but it seems that God has had other plans.
There’s something almost sacred about the art-lined halls. The pieces not only depict beauty, but they tell history, evoke emotion, and ultimately, show a glimpse of God’s glory. No matter what I end up doing with my life, I do know that art will be a part of it. From an early age I saw my parent using their artistic abilities and visual creations as both worship and a means to share God’s goodness with others. So why would less be expected of me?
When I see an image that truly evokes God’s glory (often without crosses and Jesus fishes—imagine that!), I feel great joy. This is creation, designed by humans, divinely inspired by their Creator God. One of my professors at North Park often spoke of God as Creator. Being in the arts, this was the way he best thought of God. I have often reflected on that characteristic. The very first thing God did for us was create. From there, every other good thing was able to be revealed to His creation.

It is often said that a picture is worth a thousand words. I have seen many images for which this is true; many pieces of art, photographs, sculptures, monuments that evoke great emotion.  From the Gospel of John we know that the image of God is captured by just one Word.  God’s voice is made flesh in His Son, Jesus Christ. What a glorious image!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...