Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Thinking Back . . .

This is a re-post from the 4th of July weekend two summers ago when I took part in Jews for Jesus' Summer Witnessing Campaign. This year's Campaign is going on right now in New York, and I can't help but think back to my experience and reflections:

 

In C.S. Lewis' The Silver Chair, Jill Pole and Eustace Scrubb are sent on a quest by Aslan the Great Lion. They are given four signs to guide them. They see the third sign outside the remains of a giant city: the giant words carved into the stone, "UNDER ME." 

 

This past week, we have spent countless hours handing out thousands of gospel tracks in New York City's subway system. Dank and dirty, these underground tunnels corral the people of New York from point A to point B, from train to train, from entrance to exit. Marching along in their daily monotony, most of these people do not expect to encounter Jesus, much less anything that would get in their way. But there we are, dressed in t-shirts proclaiming "Jews for Jesus," anxiously awaiting a willing hand to accept our message of Truth. 

 

As much as I these underground excursions are not my favorite, I am reminded of Jill and Eustace's adventure. To complete their task and find the truth, they had to journey under the ruined city. Likewise, we venture from "top side" to "bottom side" to meet those who need Jesus. We go down to the darkness to bring people the Light.

 

In Isaiah 9:2 the prophet said, "The people who walk in darkness will see a great light; those who live in a dark land, the light will shine on them." Some years later, Jesus taught by the Sea of Galilee, saying, "The people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." (Matthew 4:16)

 

I am not in New York this summer. Nor Israel, India or Ontario. I have family and friends serving in all those places. I'm at home, still hoping for my dream job, juggling two part time jobs and looking down every alley for furniture to recreate. At first I was a little sad to be missing out on fun adventures, but as the summer has progressed, I have realized the joy of being able to pray for my friends in their far-flung locations. Having done Campaign; having served at Camp for so long, I know the challenges that arise and the blessings that flow. So I will continue to lift my friends to the Lord, placing them in His capable Hands, trusting in His immeasurable strength and wisdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...